Ready to Rock Climb
Ready to Rock Climb is an introduction to the sport of rock climbing offered by Outdoor Chattanooga at the Walnut Wall in Coolidge Park.
What: Ready to Rock Climb sessions give participants the opportunity to try vertical, top roped rock climbing with route difficulty varying from beginner to advanced for free. No experience is necessary and equipment is provided. Gym shoes and longer shorts or athletic pants are recommended for climbing.
Where: The City of Chattanooga's Walnut Wall overlooks the Tennessee River from a 50' high limestone pier of the historic Walnut Street Bridge in Coolidge Park. Located on the north shore of the river, the wall hosts special climbing programs and activities through Outdoor Chattanooga, and is the practice home for the Chattanooga Area Interscholastic Climbing League.
Why: To learn the essentials of rock climbing:
• To understand the risks and benefits involved in the sport of rock climbing.
• To identify and properly use basic climbing equipment including a harness, a locking carabiner, a belay device, a ground anchor, etc.
• Proficiency with tying a figure eight retrace knot.
• Climbing safety procedures including "buddy checks" and belay commands.
• The principles of belaying.
• How climbing routes are graded (to determine the difficulty of a climb).
Cost: Free! Climbing is offered on a first come, first served basis.
Who: Appropriate for the family, ages 5 and up. Minors must be accompanied by a parent/legal guardian who can sign the assumption of risk and liability release form.